Deck and Fence Painting & Staining
When it comes to outdoor entertainment, a well-maintained deck and fence can transform your yard. Over time, however, wear and tear can damage your outdoor space, leaving your deck and fence to look unmaintained and outdated. Rather than replace all your outdoor fixtures, Sharper Impressions’ deck and fence staining services are a quick and easy solution that will last.
Deck staining is a very popular service that homeowners take advantage of in the spring, summer and fall months (you know, the months when you spend more time grilling out on the back deck). The problem with decks is that they take a beating over time. The horizontal surfaces of the deck are usually exposed to the sun and rain with minimum protection. Getting walked on by pets and owners alike causes traffic patterns. For these reasons, decks are a constant maintenance concern.
When deck staining is done properly, a deck floor can last 1-3 years. Additional features like railings and other vertical surfaces may last anywhere from 1-8 years. The big difference between the life of the two surfaces is that horizontal surfaces hold more weathering versus vertical surfaces, which don’t take quite a direct hit from sun, rain, snow and foot traffic.
Proper Cleaning and Staining is a Must
Horizontal surfaces, like decks, usually need to be power washed and brightened using a bleach solution that will clean the wood grains of mildew and grey growth. Once the solution dries, one to two good coats of a proper, high-quality deck stain should be applied. There are two types of deck stain you can choose from, both of which our team can apply properly:
- A semi-transparent stain lets you see the wood graining while still having a tone to it.
- A solid stain, which can be any color, covers the wood grains and coats the deck surfaces much like a house paint would.
There are both advantages and disadvantages to using each of these stains. Usually, a semi-transparent stain will last about half as long as a solid stain and will just fade over time, versus a solid stain, which will start peeling once the stain begins to fail. Whichever deck stain you decide to go with, Sharper Impressions will do the hard work for you, bringing your deck back to life right before your eyes.
Although fences don’t take quite as much direct wear as decks do, they still need maintenance every couple years to keep them looking as new as the day you put them up. Sharper Impressions has stained and painted countless decks over the years, including the two types of fences that a typical home has:
- A picket fence: usually installed for ornamental purposes and has spacing in between the fence boards
- A privacy fence: usually runs around the backyard, is much taller (usually around 6 feet) and has no gaps in between boards
Sharper Impressions can paint or stain both types of fences any color you desire. There are several types of stains and paints we use, depending on the look you want to achieve.
- A semi-transparent stain shows off the wood graining and adds deep penetrating color to the wood fibers.
- A clear coat shows the real color and characteristics of the wood. Its only purpose is to protect the wood from sun and weather damage.
- A solid stain can be any color at all and just like paint, you can match it to the home or any other surface. It is much thicker and covers a majority of the wood graining.
Our team at Sharper Impressions will refinish your fence the proper way, starting with a thorough power wash of the area. This cleans any mildew, pollutants and chalking that may be on your fence. After letting the fence dry, we apply one to two coats of paint or stain, depending on what your fence needs, to both sides.
A fence can last about 2-8 years, depending on the amount of exposure and type of stain used. With thorough preparation, our knowledgeable painters and a high-quality stain or paint, we can turn a drab fence into a colorful part of your yard.
Looking for deck and fence staining services to give your yard a fresh look? Call Sharper Impressions Painting today to schedule a free estimate, or request a free quote by filling out the form below!