Some homeowners have a hard time finding a GREAT painter at a GREAT price. Eliminate the risk by learning the secrets to finding a GREAT painting contractor. Just follow these eight simple guidelines and you’ll hit get a long lasting and great looking paint job at a fair price.
1. A GREAT Paint Contractor NEVER Asks for a Deposit
Well-established, successful painting professionals have sufficient operating income and can easily afford to purchase materials and make payroll. BE WARY of a contractor who asks for a deposit! Every year, too many homeowners fall victim to contractors who walk off the job – and out of town – with the deposit in their pockets.
If you agree to advance payment of any kind, be sure materials have been purchased and are on your property, leaving you some kind of leverage should the contractor default on the contract. Bottom Line: GREAT painting contractors NEVER request a deposit.
2. A GREAT Paint Contractor Presents Proof of Insurance
A great painting contractor will present you with a copy of his insurance policy, proving both the amount of coverage he carries for property damage and bodily injury. By nature, paint materials and the painting process can cause damages to unpainted home surfaces, like your roof, so should something happen, you need to know your contractor is insured and you and your home are protected.
3. A GREAT Paint Contractor Offers Clear and Written Warranties
There are two types of warranties. Labor and material warranties. Labor is usually the most costly to provide.
A well respected and established painting contractor will offer a warranty on labor performed. Don’t be fooled by new companies offering warranties that are longer than they have been in business. The truth is, more than half of painting contractors fail and simply go away within five years. Also, some local competitors have misleading warranty policies that have so called pro-rated warranties. This makes you the customer, buy the replacement paint and material, or even have you pay for the labor in the later years of the warranty period.
Material warranties are usually offered by paint vendors to reputable painting contractors that have been buying their products and have a history of providing good quality work. These paint vendors will warranty their product if they know that painting contractor has a history of applying their products properly.
4. GREAT Paint Contractors Go the Extra Mile
Professional paint contractors will often provide extra services to perfect the final paint job for you. Check to see if your contractor offers the following:
- Professional color consulting
- FREE new or color match paint color cans to try on your walls to make sure you like the color before your painter arrives to start your project
- Detailed and local past customer references
- FREE power washing and extensive preparation work
- Two coats of paint – as a standard offering!
5. GREAT Paint Contractors Give Professional, Detailed Quotes
A GREAT painting quote includes a written and detailed list of ALL aspects of work to be done:
- Power and pressure washing
- Caulking, scraping and priming
- Wood repair or replacement – GREAT contractors will know what needs to be done
- Details of products and application – GREAT contractors know the right products for every job
- Touch-ups and clean-up
In addition to the quote’s content and accuracy, is it presented professionally?
- Is the quote printed on company letterhead with all contact information?
- Does he use a local land line phone number? (beware if only a cell phone number is listed)
- Clear, concise and accurate final, turnkey price quote (NOT an estimate…estimates can go up and cost you more..you should only pay more if the contract changes)
- Work guarantee and product warranties?
Inexperienced contractors, using standard business forms purchased at office supply or hardware stores suggests they haven’t invested much in their business and may not be your best painter.
6. GREAT Paint Contractors Have an A ranking with the Better Business Bureau
The The Better Business Bureau (BBB) is a trusted consumer rating body that grades businesses based on collective criteria. In addition to finding their grade, be sure to check how long the paint contractor has been a member. Also confirm that any complaints have been resolved. BBB will still afford a good rating if a business has addressed issues in a timely manner. Problems arise in contracting, you just want a painter that resolves those issues.
7. GREAT Paint Contractors Provide References in Your Area – Both Old and New
Paint Contractors should provide multiple references from both recent and past work. References from a year ago or longer show the paint job’s durability and confirm that any necessary follow-up or billing issues were handled correctly.
8. GREAT Paint Contractors Have a Professional Website
While it is certainly possible to be a good paint contactor and not own a Website, GREAT contractors are also successful business people who understand that today’s consumer is looking for instant information so they can make a thorough decision. A GREAT contractor’s Website will include all the details homeowners are looking for – references, before & after photos, details of services, contact information and history of the company and its owner and staff.
We hope this information helps you find a GREAT painting contractor!
Your dedicated Sharper Impressions Painting Staff!
“making paint stick since 1992”