Did you know the colors you paint your walls can affect your mood? Psychology experts have found that color can do one of two things: make you feel at ease, comfortable, and calm, or make you feel alert, energized, or even anxious. For your bedroom, you probably want to paint a shade that feels peaceful rather than something that keeps you awake. But which paint colors are best for bedrooms? Here are some of the best bedroom colors for sleep that will surely help you drift off to dreamland faster.
Best Bedroom Colors for a Restful Night’s Sleep
Rule of Thumb: Choose Pastel and Muted Shades
No matter which color you choose to paint your bedroom walls, always opt for the muted or pastel version. Softer shades are more likely to elicit feelings of calm, tranquility, and rest. On the other hand, bold and bright colors can make you feel more alert and awake.
Keep this rule in mind as you explore the best bedroom colors for sleep.
Shades of Blue
Muted and pastel shades of blue evoke feelings of calmness, serenity, trust, and stability — all emotions we want to feel in our bedrooms. Consider any of these paint colors from PPG:
- Keepsakes: This light shade is the perfect mix of blue and gray. It has an indigo undertone and feels almost spa-like.
- Mountain Stream: With a turquoise undertone, this shade has a muted Caribbean feel. It’s perfect for a peaceful bedroom.
- Peace: Does the name give it away? This blue/gray shade has a violet undertone and looks great paired with bright white trim.
Shades of Green
Similar to blue, softer green colors evoke feelings of peace, tranquility, nature, and calmness. In a bedroom, green paint can make you feel like you’re drifting to sleep in a quiet forest or garden. Try any of these shades:
- Whispering Pine: We love this soft green that has pistachio undertones. It feels fresh and inviting.
- Summer Breeze: Can you imagine yourself taking a snooze in a hammock on a warm summer day? With this shade of green on your bedroom walls, you can.
- Light Sage: This color is one of PPG’s most popular greens — and for good reason. It’s described as the “perfect paint color for a restful bedroom.”
Shades of Beige
If you want your bedroom to give you a sense of serenity, warmth, peacefulness, and simplicity, then consider beige. Because it’s neutral, beige looks great paired with almost any kind of furniture, flooring, and bedding. And whether your style is contemporary or traditional, a shade of beige will work great:
- Synchronicity: If you’re looking for a grayish-beige with a brown undertone, this is the paint color for you. It looks great with almost any other shade.
- Stonehenge Greige: Paired with white trim, this shade of beige is warm and welcoming. It’s sure to make your bedroom feel like an oasis.
- Whiskers: We love this shade because it looks great with lighter or deeper colors. It’s a subtle way to add color variation to your bedroom.
Shades of Pink
Surprised to see pink on our list? Pale or pastel shades of pink are perfect for bedrooms because they evoke sweet, non-threatening, and tender emotions. It’s not for everyone, of course, but if you like the color pink, one of these could help promote sleep in your bedroom:
- Shangri La: This shade gives a romantic, luxurious feel to a bedroom with its blush undertone. It’s simply stunning.
- Gothic Amethyst: With a mauve undertone, this shade is a bit deeper than some of our other selections. We love it for a bedroom because PPG describes it as an ideal choice for quiet, contemplative spaces.
If you want to sleep peacefully in your bedroom, you’ve got to create an environment that makes you feel calm. Bright, bold paint on your walls is only going to wake you up and not help you sleep. Choose an interior wall paint color that makes you feel content so you can catch the Zzz’s you need.